Did you know Africa has about 9 percent of the world’s water resources but 13 percent of the world’s population. This means that the amount of water for each person is well below the world average and often at great distance from the people.
Predictions indicate that over the next 20 years, 30 percent more water will be needed just for farming. Twenty-five African nations will suffer water shortages.
- Everyday 25,000 people die from unsafe water.
- 80% of all sickness is attributed to unsafe water.
- Every 19 seconds a mother loses a child from a waterborne illness.
- 1 BILLION people lack safe drinking water.
- Lack of safe drinking water is the world’s #1 killer.
- Everyday in Africa women and children walk 10 miles to get water.
- These women and children must carry 40 lb. containers of water down long and torturous paths.
This hurts the heart of God and if we are to help alleviate the suffering it’s time for us to take action to meet this critical need by raising awareness and funds that can provide clean water for those in need in Africa.
Over the past two months, I’ve been given the opportunity to bring about an awareness of the need for clean water as I present this message to entire congregations, young and old. It’s when we see contaminated water and consider what it would be like to have no choice but to drink unsafe water that we realize how important it is to help provide one of the few things we all need to survive, water!! Without it we die and for 25,000 every day, even with it, die because of waterborne illnesses.
Joining with Africa Oasis Project and BGMC (Boys and Girls Missionary Challenge) people have been challenged to raise funds to dig water wells in remote locations of Africa to alleviate the suffering of those impacted by unsafe or inadequate water.
Our ministry hurts for the needs of children around the world. As we bring about an awareness of the needs of these children we are certain that God will stir the hearts of people to provide the funds necessary to dig wells, providing the source of living water, both physically and spiritually.
Get involved by:
- Donating directly to Africa Oasis Project
- Donate through BGMC by downloading the Africa Oasis Project Special Target Form and mailing along with your donation. All donations received through the target form receive BGMC giving credit and can be credited to your local church body.
- Visit Help Us Dig Wells and sponsor a children’s pastor to run a Half marathon.
- Pray for our ministry that we will be able to reach the hearts of children and that they would respond with compassion to the needs of others.